Bookmarks made on the takadai using 60/2 silk.
- We are going to be traveling so orders (other than equipment) placed after October 28th will be shipped the week of November 14th.
Currently there is a short wait time of a week or two for our Marudai.
- New books include Andean Sling Braids: New Designs for Textile Artists by Rodrick Owen and Terry Newhouse Flynn. This book is in stock! If you want to go directly to the Shopping Cart, click here. We are also pleased to have Braids, Bands & Beyond: The Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Braiding edited by Robyn Spady, which was held the last week of July 2016. This is the next best thing to having been at the Braids 2016 Conference. And....Rosalie Neilson has published a second edition of her book The Thirty-Seven Interlacements of Hira Kara Gumi!
to place an order.
- Use our Shopping Cart
- Explore out website to learn about our products and visit our Tips page!
- If you prefer to call or send us an Email regarding your order, please do. Our number is Toll Free, 866-821-4613 or 360-678-4788; we are in the Pacific Time Zone; please call between 9:00AM to 6:00PM Monday through Saturday.
- For details on ordering and shipping click Ordering Information
- Click here for our email.
- Looking for kumihimo instruction? Click workshops for a listing.
Our equipment is built in our workshop in Washington state, USA.
Prices are subject to change.
Saunders Solutions Inc. DBA BraidersHand, October 27, 2016
Copyright © 1996-2016 Janis Saunders. · All rights reserved.
|Kumi (to plait) + Himo (string or cord) = Kumihimo, plaited cords, braids|
Kumihimo is pronounced, koo-me-he-mo.
Kara (Chinese) + Kumi (braid) + Dai (a stand) = Karakumidai, Chinese braid stand
Taka (high) + Dai (a stand) = Takadai, high braiding stand
Maru (round) + Dai (a stand) = Marudai, round braiding stand
Ayatake (wooden) + dai (a stand) = Ayatakedai, wooden stand
Tama = bobbins
Kumihimo Disk and Plate = a dense foam tool for beginners and a quick sampling tool for experienced braiders
There is a waiting list of over 18 months for our large equipment; takadai, ayatakedai, kakudai and karakumidai. Marudai are shipped within two weeks.
There is no obligation to get on our list.
Core Stand/Core Frame Rodrick Owen's book on Andean core braids will be available in May 2016; more information here. The core stand/core frame has been designed to facilitate making beautiful Andean core braids. We will try to provide core stands/core frames more quickly than the other large equipment.
Contact us to see how long the wait will be.
Elegant braids with twisted elements are worked upwards on the
Kakudai (caw-koo-dye) pulled by an overhead pulley system.
Karakumidai is a small braiding stand that produces twined braids made up of diamond and half diamond shapes. Braiders find it fascinating to watch the colorful diamond shapes take form as the braid grows.
Standard Takadai and Extended Takadai Obliquely interlaced braids, usually flat are made on the takadai. One layer braids, two layers, sculptural and pick-up braids may be made on this stand. The Extended Takadai offers wider widths.
Tama are wooden bobbins which are lead filled with both ends sealed;
they come in two sizes and many weights.
The Marudai makes a round, square, hollow, or flat braid.
We offer two diameter mirrors (tops), 25cm (10") and 30cm (12").
Counter Weight Bags and Instruction for braiding drawstrings.
The Ayatakedai makes warp twined bands. We offer a stand alone ayatakedai and a unit that can be added to your BraidersHand takadai.
Publications A select group of braiding publications from around the world; monographs, books, video, DVD and software covering kumihimo and other braids.
Our Kumihimo Disk and Plate are the original Hamanaka product designed by Makiko Tada and made in Japan. We offer kits, English instructions and books. We carry two sizes of EZ Bobs for use with the Kumihimo Disk and Plate, they are made in the USA.
Japanese Threads and Bamboo Yarn; two lines of Japanese kumihimo silk, 120 colors. Our synthetic thread, Imposter, has 67 colors and we have 15 metallic colors. Our Bamboo rayon yarn makes great braids and comes in 28 colors.
Jewelry Findings Turn your braids into necklaces and bracelets with our gold and silver color end caps from Japan.
Our Warping Pegs and your C-clamps make measuring out braiding warps very simple.
A brief Kumihimo Gallery. Weavershand; click on Kumihimo when you get there to view Japanese braiders on video, peruse braiders websites and enjoy the Galleries.